Saturday 27 February 2010

Vegan Pesto

Here is my recipe for vegan pesto. This is my go to recipe if I have some guests coming and I want to feed them something tasty that doesn't take ages!

I use this as a topping for pizzas, and in my roasted veggie pasta, the recipe for which I will post next.

The asterisk is for if you want to stretch your pesto out a bit further, e.g. to serve 4.

Vegan Pesto

ingredients
30g/one packet of basil (usually 30g in supermarkets for regular sized packet)
25g/30g rocket/watercress* (I use the rest as a salad for the meal)
1 clove garlic
30g lightly toasted pine nuts (heat them in a dry pan on medium, stirring regularly until golden)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 heaped teaspoons nutritional yeast (for that cheesy flavour)
1 tsp vegan Marigold Swiss Bouillion Powder (adds a cheesy flavour and replaces salt)

blend all ingredients together, until a slightly coarse paste is created. If blender is struggling to blend, add a touch more lemon or oil.

If not using straight away, store in fridge with a layer of olive oil over the top to keep it fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment